ARE YOU PASSIONATE ABOUT APPLYING STATISTICS TO REAL-WORLD BIOLOGICAL QUESTIONS?
DROP Bio is a pre-launch direct-to-consumer health information venture. Our vision is to use the predictive information in blood and machine learning to improve individual health, prevent disease and dramatically accelerate the global pace of research. We also plan to become the world’s trusted source of personal blood-based information.
This is a superb chance to conduct a 6-week research project to conduct computational experiments on modern compute frameworks (HPC, Cloud) and explore links between blood-based biomarkers and lifestyle data.
You enjoy learning and collaborating effectively with scientists, marketers and bioinformatics specialists and think about data as a means to inspire disease prevention.
You are in your penultimate year or have recently completed a science-based undergraduate or postgraduate degree and have an in-depth knowledge of statistics and molecular biology.
As a self-contained research project, you will gain valuable insights into research processes that will inform future studies and products.
HOW DO WE THINK ABOUT GROWING CULTURE AND DIVERSITY?
We embrace diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it.
We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
We bring this philosophy to life by living these five values:
- People first, science second – Start with people’s lifestyle and expectations in mind to make the scientific evidence more valuable, accessible and understandable
- Every idea matters – Be curious, ask for help, and demonstrate an ability to grow. Own and learn from mistakes. Bring optimism to work.
- Champion the mission – Prioritise work that advances the mission. Take intelligent risks, demand excellence and strive to be the best in the world.
- Make every day count – Create the future with resilience, urgency and humanity. Be kind, humble, strong and embrace the adventure.
- Thoughtfully disagree – Listen and be motivated by a genuine fear of missing important perspectives.
- Work collaboratively with senior research scientists to perform exploratory data analysis using well-known statistical tests, including correlations, t-tests, chi-squared tests, ANOVA, and multinomial logistic regression, as well as other statistical differential analyses to identify associations within data
- Document both software code and insights using Jupyter notebooks or equivalent
- Contribute to the development of innovative concepts and ideas for further research
- In the penultimate year or have recently completed a science-based undergraduate or postgraduate degree in statistics, mathematics or bioinformatics
- Evidence of conducting statistical differential analyses with proficiency in languages relevant for bioinformatics (e.g. R, Python, Java, C++, Scala, BASH, R)
- Comfortable with using software engineering practices (use of repositories, Jupyter notebooks)
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary and to stay focused and prioritize a heavy workload while achieving exceptional quality
- Experience with developing solutions on cloud infrastructure (AWS) or high-performance compute (HPC) highly desirable
- Publication record in biostatistics or clinical research highly desirable but not essential
This ad is now closed and is an example of a job including maths skills.